Monday, August 6, 2012

Words With A View: Thoughtful Poems 1


Note: This a wonderful painting by the Northwest artist, Keith Powell. 

The set of poems in this post are influenced by my Native American heritage and by my many experiences teaching within Native communities in Washington and New Mexico. 


There Is a Reason
March, 1995
 Note: the above poem was written for Sam LeaderCharge

There is a light within the darkness.
There is a reason for all things.
There is a purpose above all else.
There is an answer to the question:
What’s this life all about?

Let the light shine through the darkness.
Let the will seek the reason.
Seek the understanding, it is to be discovered.
Open your heart to the Great Mystery.

In the darkest of moments,
It is possible to understand.
It is possible to gain wisdom.
There is something more important to learn.

Focus on the light within the darkness.
Understand your life is more than just living.
Know your soul is more important than life.
Use your heart to find the way.

There are dark moments.
Use them to gain understanding and power
Your soul has journeyed long and far
Walk toward the light and
Live the Truth of Your Being.


Counsel with Wolves
 May, 1995
 Note: This poem was inspired by a Keith Powell painting of the same name. 
I shared it with a friend who was leaving to attend the powerful 
International Women’s Conference held in late 1995 in Beijing, China.

They gathered in secret
They came with curiosity
They came with clarity
They gathered in peace

They spoke with compassion
They listened with interest
They listened with intent
They spoke from the heart

They listened with concern
They spoke of healing
They spoke of harmony
They listened with heart

They came from different tribes
They gathered because it was crucial
They gathered in the sacred circle
They came from the same Earth

“Wolf Spirit,” said the Small People
“We want to be sisters to you.
We want to understand the Great Mystery
Wolf Brother, be our Spirit Guide.”

“We have brought you a feather from our brother, the Eagle
We want to learn how we are all related.
We want to learn to live as one family.
We have brought our love and protection to you.”

“We seek your wisdom and knowledge.
We have brought our magic to you.
We have brought our gentleness for you.
We seek your courage and strength.”

“Wolf Spirit, we trust you.
We have watched you walk your path.
We have watched you persevere.
Wolf Brother, be a part of our family.”

They shared many things in many minutes.
They created a hoop that was to last many moons
They created a beginning of a new time.
They shared their dreams of a new world.

 On the Blue Path
October, 1995
 Note: This was inspired by a Keith Powell painting of the same title.


Hoyeh! I am the journey.
I follow my spirit on the path
I am surrounded by my spirit friends
I feel connected to everything around me
How can I fear what I am a part of?
Hoyeh! Light my way, Oh, Great Spirit

Hoyeh! I am the journey.
I journey in the forests of Life
I journey on the unknown path
There is much to learn
There is much to discover
Hoyeh! I journey forth.

Ho! I do not know where the path leads
I may not always be where I want to be
I know, however, that where ever I am,
I am on the path
Where I am, it is the perfect place
It is the place I need to be
Hoyeh! I am the journey.
I follow the Blue Path of Living


The Seeker
 June, 1995
Note: This poem was inspired by a Keith Powell painting of the same title.

He is Running Deer
He is a scout and a seeker

He brings life to the Earth People
He has strong medicine

He is alert and aware
He pays attention

He sees to the horizon and beyond
He sees around corners

He becomes the unseen in order to see
He becomes the quiet in order to hear

He appears and disappears
He changes his shape

He is as still as the grass
He never stops moving

He is focused
He does not give up

He flows with the forces
He is a mystery

He has few enemies
He has many friends

He has many spirit guides
He has one spirit brother

He is Running Deer
He is swift and gentle

He becomes the Wolf
He seeks a vision

What he sees saddens his heart
What he sees is a sign and warning

He watched the buffalo all disappear
He watched his people suffer

He watched Earth Mother being destroyed
He heard Sky Father cry out

“The spirit of the Earth is dying
When spirit dies, the Earth will die”

As Running Deer, he is the Seeker
As Wolf, he is the finder

He found a way to save the Earth
He found the sacred path

As Running Deer, the Scout
He shows Earth people the way inside the mountain

Is anyone else paying attention?
Does any one else care?


The Spirit of Life
November, 1997

Note: This poem was inspired by a short anonymous poem written in loving memory for Mr. Santiago Leo Coriz, a beloved Elder of the Santa Domingo Pueblo, who left behind a legacy of Life. I hope this poem gives both the original words to the poem and Mr. Coriz, the deep respect they deserve. Also, this poem always reminds of Chief Joseph who was interred and died on the Colville Reservation in Eastern Washington. The elders of the tribe know that Chief Joseph's body was secretly taken back to his home lands in the Wallowa Mountains of Eastern Oregon. 


Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there.
I do not rest.

I am a hundred winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am a gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning light,
I am the songs of birds in flight.
When you walk in the forest quiet,
I am the stream leaping with life.

I am a thousand stars in the Milky Way.
I am the dust rising in the day.
I am the glimmer from the moon.
I am a little flower in bloom.

When you lie down to rest each night,
I am in your dreams until twilight.
When you look into the glowing fire,
I am the embers of burning desire.

I am a reflection of a million faces.
I am the partner of your many paces.
I am the laughter of children free.
I am a smile that longs to be.

When you face the mountains tall,
I am the reminder that you can achieve it all.
When you crawl through the valley of pain,
I am the cry of the eagle unnamed.

I am a brother to your many tears.
I am the heartbeat of happy years.
I am the clouds drifting by.
I am a portion of the deep blue sky.
So, do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there.
I did not die.


Be Still No More
March, 2007
Note: I wrote this for my students at the Santa Fe Indian School. It was meant to inspire them to rise above and beyond the challenges that surrounded them in their attempts to live in two worlds.


I will be still no more.
I wish to share my world with you.
It is how I see it.
It is the way it is.

It is my truth.
Just listen.
It is my reality.
Just walk through it with me.

I cannot be quiet any more.
My world is not always a pretty world.
I did not choose it.
It is what it is.

This is the world I live in.
This is my experience.
Just hold my hand
And try to understand.

I want you to know me,
As I am.
I am brave and I am strong.
I can change my world because I know it is wrong;

Wrong for me;
Wrong for my family;
Wrong for my people; and
Wrong for my community.

So, I ask you to listen.
I ask you to stand with me.
Together, our voices can be loud.
We can live strong and proud.

Past is past.
Listen to me.
Today is a new day.
Please listen to what I have to say.




























No comments:

Post a Comment