Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Winning is for everyone!


100% of Everything I Know

Make a dance of everything you do, listen to the music deep inside of you.
It’s not hard work that kills you, it’s your attitude.
Make a dance of everything you do.

Make a dance of everything you do.
It’s not hard work that kills you, it’s your attitude.
Have fun, enjoy and listen to the music deep inside of you.

We have just finished another summer Olympic Games and there was a lot of interest by individuals of every age in every part of the world. The focus during the games seemed to be on the winners and little is mentioned about the others involved. This is unfortunate. The Olympic Games is the showcase for the highly competitive, highly skilled and highly driven "athletes" of the world. But, what about everyone else? Who are the real winners? What does it take to be a winner regardless of your age, your gender, your country, or your challenge?

I have been a successful athlete. I have been a successful coach. I have taught Physical Education involving games, sports and physical challenges for many years. I have directed my own Sports Camp for children ages 5-11. I know about competition and I know about winning.

As a teacher and coach I was a winner because I taught my students and my athletes that winning is not about the numbers on the scoreboard but instead winning is about the amount of effort and desire expended within a competition. The cliche, "leave it on the court" if practiced will result in a winning effort. In addition, winning is about respect; respect for yourself, your teammates, your opponents, your coaches, the officials and for your parents or guardians who always supported you.

My summer sports camp was always full and always had a long waiting list. My formula for success surprised most parents and participants. They would ask, so this camp is called "Partners in Play" what is it really about? Will my child learn sport skills? I would give a quick and confident response: this camp is about kindness...nothing more said. Without exception, the parents would say great; where do I sign up my child?

Winning involves both mental and physical ability. It does not matter who finishes first or what the score in the end happened to be. What matters is how hard the participants tried to succeed; how good of sports they were and how good a teammate they were at all times. Applying this formula to winning is a win-win. Everyone wins. Everyone feels like a winner and everyone supports and encourages everyone else, even the opponent. I know I was a winner before the game or competition ever began.

One of my fondest memories came in Seaside, Oregon following the Seaside Marathon (one of 50 marathons that I have run). The race was run in a driving rain, wind and hail storm. I finished 300 out of 5000 runners (not too shabby). After the race, while walking along the seawall an older lady stopped me and asked, "Sonny, did you win?" I started to say "no, but thank you for asking" but instead I said "yes and thank you asking" and kept on walking with a huge smile on my face. I had trained hard and long for the event. I had spent countless hours preparing. I sacrificed a lot of the otherwise special moments of enjoying life with my family and friends. The truth is, I was a winner the moment I lined up to start the race. Those values of effort, sacrifice, respect and desire had carried me both to the finish line AND to the starting line (the most important phase of the race). I was; I am and I will always be a winner. Anyone can be a winner. Be a player not a spectator. Be in the race of life. Give it your best and persevere to the end knowing you have won by just showing up. Be proud. Be respectful. Be kind to yourself and all others!

So go for it!




No comments:

Post a Comment