Monday, August 13, 2012

A View of Retirement

Note: This photograph was taken from our cabin deck in Idyllwild, CA.

I have been trying to retire for the past six years. I've tried to do it on a couple of occasions. Instead of doing so, I kept jumping back into my work because my services were requested by a number of schools and the extra income helped build up our retirement fund account. In December of 2011, I finally and fully retired. The actual and final leap slowly came about as my wife and I got more comfortable with our financial situation. Now that I have actually retired, I am evolving a perspective and gaining the experience that allows me to comment on the realities and challenges of retirement.  

I am in my early seventies and in relatively good health. I am looking forward to many years of active enjoyment of my life without any work-related commitments. Yet to be honest, I certainly have expectations relating to my new found "free time" and leisurely lifestyle. For example, I planned on seeing our children and grandchildren more often; I planned on traveling much more than in the past; I hoped to spend more time with my wife; I hoped to spend more time on projects and completing unfinished personal goals and, finally,  I hoped that I would be more relaxed and less stressed.

Funny thing ... some of these expectations have yet to become reality. I am hoping that this fact will change and that my expectations will become reality. True, there have been a few exceptions but for the most part these last few months of full retirement have not brought a significant increase in the amount of time spent with our children or grandchildren and we have not done any traveling at all! This is probably no one's fault but our own and due to a number of acceptable and understandable reasons. True, I have spent a lot more time with my wife but this has not been as blissful as it may seem. For us, spending a lot of time together has brought up the need to differentiate, spend time a part, and to have quiet time alone when we can work or do whatever we wish to be doing. We are currently working on this issue and it should get better for both of us. On a real positive note, I have had a good deal of time to spend pursuing some of the things that I enjoy doing and this blog would be an example of this emerging aspect of my life. Finally, I am more relaxed and there is much less stress in my life.Overall, there has been progress and retirement is becoming more and more of a pleasurable place to be in life.Yet, in spite of these few positive experiences and some progress, retirement remains a challenge for me. 

As it is often noted by others, the transition into full retirement can be challenging. True, for most of us who finally retire, the financial challenges are a major question mark and concern. For a variety of reasons, my wife and I did not have a huge "nest egg" available to supplement our Social Security income. The majority of our other income has been generated from sources that we have acquired during the last twenty years. The key thing about this for anyone else considering retirement or concerned about the finances of retirement, is that we have planned well enough to enjoy a retirement lifestyle that is much like that of our pre-retirement years. I think this is what most retirees would hope to achieve. So, for us, the financial concerns about retirement do not really exist. I must add, however, that we strictly follow our monthly and yearly budget guidelines and have a great supplemental health insurance plan (AARP) that along with Medicare covers most, if not all, of our medical expenses.

The most difficult challenge for us has been dealing with the transition from working full-time, enjoying our work,  receiving personal recognition and satisfaction from being educators. In addition, we had an extensive network and community of co-workers and friends that were work-related. Because we chose to relocate, they, for the most part, no longer exist. Be prepared: a retirement lifestyle is completely different from a work-centered lifestyle. Sitting out Whale Rock in our backyard enjoying the sunset and view is much less stressful than dealing with school districts, supervisors, students and parents BUT it does not include any of the aspects of our former lives that existed for a long time. In addition, we are challenged by the freedom of less responsibility and fewer commitments.Our worth as persons is being challenged on a daily basis.

As mentioned, when we retired we also relocated to a new area of the country, a new community and into a new home. This certainly adds some challenges to our retirement moments. It takes a time to acclimate and to begin forming new associations/new friends, finding where and how we can continue to make contributions to the community and to the educational system where we now reside and to get beyond the "nest building" phase of our new life. 

The bottom-line for me and most other recent "retirees" is that retirement will be quite challenging, especially during the first year or two. It is very important to realize that you are still needed by others and that you still have contributions to make to your community. Retirement is, and will remain to be, a time for growth and enjoyment. True, it is nice to feel like you are finally being "rewarded" for all the years of service, long hours and hard work put into your life of work, but the full rewards of retirement will come along as you continue to serve. Serve yourself first, serve others and enjoy!   
    

  


No comments:

Post a Comment